Old Ledbury - Voluntary Aid Detachment ( No 22 Herefordshire )

Voluntary Aid Detachment British Red Cross Society ( No 22 Herefordshire )

Voluntary Aid Detachment British Red Cross Society ( No 22 Herefordshire )

1909
The War Office issued the Scheme for the Organisation of Voluntary Aid. Under this scheme, the British Red Cross was given the role of providing supplementary aid to the Territorial Forces Medical Service in the event of war.
 
In order to provide trained personnel for this task, county branches of the Red Cross organised units called voluntary aid detachments. All voluntary aid detachment members (who themselves came to be known simply as 'VADs') were trained in first aid and nursing. Within twelve months of the scheme's launch, they numbered well over 6,000.
 

 
1914
Membership grew still further on the outbreak of war in 1914. The British Red Cross and the Order of St John of Jerusalem, a body which was also empowered to raise detachments under the War Office Voluntary Aid Scheme, combined to form the Joint War Committee (JWC) to administer their wartime relief work with the greatest possible efficiency and economy, under the protection of the red cross emblem and name. This was such a successful working partnership that when the Second World War broke out in 1939, the British Red Cross and Order of St. John joined together again to form the Joint War Organisation (JWO).
 
The VADs working under both the JWC and the JWO performed a variety of duties. Both the Committee and the Organisation administered auxiliary hospitals and convalescent homes in Britain throughout the world wars and much of the VAD service was performed in these homes and hospitals. Volunteers performed general nursing duties and administered first aid.
 
Qualified nurses were also employed to work in these establishments, while many VADs gave their service in military hospitals. In addition, VADs performed clerical and kitchen duties. With many men engaged in military service, women VADs took on roles such as ambulance drivers, civil defence workers and welfare officers. VADs were also sent abroad during both world wars as the Committee and the Organisation operated overseas in countries such as France, Italy and Russia.
 

 
1939
Anti Gas Training
[Anti Gas Training]
[Anti Gas Training]
[Anti Gas Training]
[Anti Gas Training]
Charlotte Mabel PAUL - Badge Book Ref B3155 - No 5861 - 16 May 1939
 

 
1940
Red Cross Nursing
[Anti Gas Training]
[Anti Gas Training]
[Anti Gas Training]
[Anti Gas Training]
Annette PAUL - Badge Book Ref .... - No 24677 - 13 June 1940
 
First Aid Training
[First Aid Training]
[First Aid Training]
[First Aid Training]
Charlotte Mabel PAUL - Badge Book Ref B14091 - No 34539 - 15 July 1940
 
Merit
[Merit]
[Merit]
Charlotte Mabel PAUL - Badge Book Ref B16437 - No 12062
 

 
1945
Defence Medal 1939 -1945
[Merit][Merit]
Charlotte Mabel D PAUL
 

 
1958
Headquarters - The Old Court house, Southend
Commandant Mrs R J HARVEY, Lady Superintendent Mrs DUNN, Quartermaster Mrs PRICE, Divisional President for Ledbury district Mrs SWANSTON, Hillstow, Bank Crescent, Medical Supply Depot, apply to Mrs PRICE, Cake Shop, Southend
 

 
1963
Headquarters - The Old Court house, Southend
Divisional President for Ledbury District - Mrs SWANSTON, Hillstow, Bank Crescent, Commandant Mrs R J HARVEY, The Vicarage, Much Marcle, Medical Officer Dr BURROWS, Nursing Superintendent Mrs G M ENGLAND, Quartermaster Mrs C F MARKLOVE, Medical Supply Depot, apply to Miss E G SMITH, Assistand Commandant, The Garden, Homend Crescent
 

 
Sources
1958 Tilley's Almanack
1963 Tilley's Almanack
Photographs are credited to the owners
Comments are from members of the Old Ledbury Facebook Group
Cuttings from Ledbury Reporter Newspapers
Introduction text taken from the British Red Cross Organisation

Ledbury Reporter

[Ledbury Reporter] The Reporter now has Archive photographs for the years 2005 - 2009 which you can view and order. Select a year then make sure Ledbury is the keyword entered before pressing GO. I have spent many an hour in the Ledbury Library looking through the old Reporters which are on microfiche. Support this great local paper.